WELCOME TO THE INSTITUTE OF CLASSICAL OSTEOPATHY
The Institute of Classical Osteopathy (ICO), a registered charity, was established in 1956 by the late John Wernham and T.E. Hall.
Its aims are to:
- Preserve, explore and develop the osteopathic concept and philosophy as formulated by A.T. Still and further interpreted by J.M. Littlejohn.
- Help the postgraduate osteopath gain a deeper understanding of the anatomical and physiological relationship of body mechanics to health and disease and how that knowledge may be applied clinically to enable a precise diagnosis and safe treatment.
- Provide mentored postgraduate training in classical osteopathy in the UK and throughout the world.
- Bring together and support members of the osteopathic profession worldwide who follow a classical approach.
The Institute maintains its role by running postgraduate courses, workshops and conferences to help osteopaths interpret and apply classical osteopathic concepts. It also offers a unique mentored clinical training programme at the London Clinic of Classical Osteopathy - a community based clinic in North London and has numerous affiliations with educational groups throughout Europe, Canada and Japan.
The Institute has over the years published a series of academic books, Yearbooks and DVDs – all of which are available for purchase on-line. The next publication is planned for release in 2017 – this being a historically significant year for osteopathy in that it will be 100 years since John Martin Littlejohn founded the British School of Osteopathy and 70 years since his death in 1947.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any queries regarding classical osteopathy or any of our courses or publications.
The ICO is a registered charity, and any DONATION will ensure that the Institute remains offering Postgraduate Courses.
The Institute of Classical osteopathy currently runs the Foundation course, Applied Clinic and Applied Course.
- Foundation Course
- Applied Foundation Course
Books and DVD's can be purchased from our online shop.
Search our database to find the nearest osteopathy to you.
The London Clinic of Classical Osteopathy is our post-graduate teaching clinic based in North London.
HISTORY OF ICO
The Osteopathic Institute of Applied Technique was established in 1956 by the late John Wernham and T.E. Hall. Its purpose was to bring together in one body, those members of the osteopathic profession who were prepared to interpret and apply osteopathy as it was laid down by early pioneering osteopaths in the US and the UK, most notably A.T. Still and John Martin Littlejohn. John Wernham and T.E. Hall were both students of Littlejohn, who was one of the early students of Still’s and become the Dean of the original American School of Osteopathy, as well as establishing his own schools in Chicago and then in the UK.